Posted on | November 22, 2009 | Comments Off on Degree in Mass Communication
Mass communication is the term used to describe the academic study of the various means by which individuals and entities relay information through mass media to large segments of the population at the same time. A mass communication degree is designed to prepare its students to research, analyze, interpret, evaluate and present content effectively through various channels of communication.
Traditionally, mass communication usually relate to disseminating information via newspaper and magazine publishing, radio, television and film. With the increased role of the Internet, mass communication studies today focus on the convergence of publishing, broadcasting and digital communication.
Graduates with a bachelor of Mass Communication can found in the following areas:
• Traditional news media and publishing
• Advertising or marketing-related strategic communication
• Corporation and political communication or administration
• Public relations planning or administration
• Research institute
• Event planning or administration
A good bachelor degree in Mass Communication will help you to:
• Enhance your oral, written and visual communication skills
• Develop research and persuasive skills
• Strengthen your capacity for critical and analytical thinking.
• Understand mass communication processes in diverse cultural, social, legal and ethical contexts.
Typically, student in Mass communication degree program can specialize in the following majors:
• Public Relations
• Journalism majors/minors
• Broadcast Journalism
• Print Journalism
• Communication majors/minors
• Organizational Communication
• Public Communication
Some links to institutes of higher learning in Malaysia offering programs in communication:
- SEGI University
- Stamford College Malaysia
- Taylors University College
- Asia Pacific University College of Technology and Innovation